Tuesday 3 November 2015

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Of my many, and I have many, obsessions, measuring the passing of time is one of my "favourite" ones. It's a bittersweet obsession which originated with the untimely passing of my father. Since then, it was as if there is this clock inside of me that keeps going tick tock, tick tock, mocking me....counting the tiny grains of time that keep rushing by me.

Having survived cancer twice further reinforces this little obsession. Some life events are like a slap in the face with a big fat wet moustaching fish. Whack! There you go. Now go forth and embrace life, and be grateful and don't forget to be awesome! Tick tock, tick tock.

There are other ways that I mark the passing of time. And among them are collecting old photographs of bygone days, antique trinkets, collecting stories from before my time and journaling now for the future.

As Shabd has grown older I've realized that some moments, nay most moments I won't get back again, neither will he go back to that precious stage in his life again. So I recently started keeping a little shopping list and pencil handy on the kitchen counter so I could capture those unforgettable one liners! Allow me to share some snippets from the mouth of my little 3 year old babe!

"Mummy, can I have some privacy please. Can you close the door." - Shabd having a shower.

"I am strong like Hanuman! Jai Maan!" - explaining his extraordinary strength!

Shabd: "Papa, do you have fur?"
Papa: "No, I have hair."
Shabd: "Oh.....Okay."
Slight pause as he contemplates the answer.
Shabd: "Do you have whiskers?"
Papa: Trying to hold back the laughter, "No, I have a beard."
Shabd: "Oh.....Okayyy" as if he just had a lightbulb moment, "You have a beard."

Ah! A frustrated moment! Shabd was addressing me and he was plenty polite and plenty frustrated!
Shabd: "Mummy, please find my chookoo." (Pacifier).
Me: In a rush as usual, "Sorry Shabd, you need to look after your things. Go and look for it yourself. Where did you see it last? Go start looking there."
A rather annoyed looking toddler leaves the room only to return a few seconds later and tell me, "Mummy! I don't know where my chookoo is and you keep telling me to look for it!"

Upon observing his father trimming the mango tree in our garden that has grown quite unruly lately.
"Papa, please don't cut the tree, it will get hurt."
I wonder if all our tree hugging and watching The Lorax has made him into a little green warrior! Desh masa and Aunty Khadeeja will be so proud of the little activist!

One morning at the breakfast table Shabd picks up his cup of camomile tea and says, "I want to sit. I want to think for a moment." This is followed by total silence as he contemplates what I imagine must be the state of the trees being cut in our yard!

Upon discovering the tastes of French and Creole rolling in his mouth, "Hey Papa, la ice-cream ala melting!"

And my favourite as it sums up what a gentle old soul Shabd is, "I'm there for you Mummy. Don't be sad." My boy experiences the world with his heart. I must be doing something right! I'm blessed!


















No comments:

Post a Comment